I have searched far and wide, even picked the brain of someone, regarding this soon-to-be purchase. This is going to be my very first MacBook and I wanted to make sure that I am getting the best choice that will last me for at least 4 years without saying…I should have bought that!
Here are my concerns:
1. Retina or No Retina
– This is Apple’s “big” upgrade for the MacBook Pro this year. Retina display, as I was told, was not really necessary for my purposes. I am not a hard core geek techie but I am moderately aware of what the future holds for technology. My main purposes for this machine are: blogging, photoshop, iTunes, web surfing, and playing Skyrim. I am a beginner on Photoshop and Skyrim can run on Parallels – medium setting with the non-retina MacBook Pro. I have also read somewhere that most websites are not retina display compatible. I have no doubt that the hardware will outlast the software upgrades but am I shorting myself of a future possibility that my display will be sacrificed?
2. Flash Storage or Hard Disk Drive
– This is another fun topic to engage with. A lot of people likes the lightning fast speed of a solid state drive versus the slow processing of a hard disk drive. The difference? Storage capacity and price. I can easily have a 750GB worth of HDD with the money to purchase a 250GB of SSD. My digital hoarding will not be capable of holding even half of my files with the SSD! I also found out that since it is a fairly new technology, the longevity and its toughness are not yet well documented (at least from the news and such that I have read).
3. SuperDrive or No SuperDrive
– This one is easy for me to decide as I have a SuperDrive already from my MacMini. The MacBook Pro with Retina Display does not have the SuperDrive as opposed to the older version that still has the Superdrive.
So there it is… I think I have made a decision though…These are the specs for the Mac that I will be getting.
– Apple MacBook Pro 15.4in Retina Display 8GB Memory Laptop A3500S3
– Intel i7 Quad Core Processor (2.3GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
– 8GB Memory and 256GB Flash Storage
– 15.4″ Retina LED-Backlit Display with IPS technology
– 2880 x 1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch;
– Measures .71 thickness; Weighs 4.46 lbs.
– Intel HD Graphics 4000; NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
– Rechargeable battery; Up to 7 hours wireless web; 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter
– Silver Aluminum Lid Finish;
– Built-in Stereo Speakers;
– 720p FaceTime HD Camera;
– Dual Microphones;
– Multi-Touch Trackpad;
– Full-size Backlit Keyboard
– Mac OS X Lion Operating System;
– iLife ’11 Software Suite
– Wi-Fi; Bluetooth; HDMI; 2 USB 3.0 Ports; 2 Thunderbolt Ports; Headphone Port; MagSafe 2 Power Port
– ENERGY STAR qualified
Incredibly light and thin with a stunning high resolution Retina display, the 15-inch MacBook Pro will visually dazzle you. This state-of-the-art display delivers vibrant colors, high contrast and wide viewing angles so you will see everything in perfect clarity. The Intel i7 quad-core mobile processor with Turbo Boost automatically speeds things up to 3.3GHz when demanding applications need extra power. It features the new integrated, energy-efficient Intel HD Graphics 4000 processor that boosts performance by up to 60 percent. For graphics-intensive applications, this MacBook Pro automatically switches to the new NVIDIA GeForce GR 650M discrete processor with 1GB of video memory. Two Thunderbolt ports, 2 USB 3.0 ports and an HDMI port will give you the ultimate flexibility to connect multiple external displays, your HDTV, and other devices. The long-lasting battery provides up to 7 hours of portable power to do more with less charging time. This laptop includes an Apple MacBook SuperDrive that reads/writes DVDs and CDs. Comes with Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac for one year’s advanced protection against online identity theft, web attacks and scams.